Tuesday, January 3, 2012

SCR 2011 - FGC_XsK_Samurai

For those of you who weren't able to catch the stream, I added a new tag (FGC) at SCR. The reason for the tag was my one-day sponsor by Ryan Anderson (twitter: @entrerix).

The idea was to create a sponsor by the community for the community. This also correlates to the whole FGC and MLG clash everyone has been arguing about.
Ryan believes that it's okay for us to have community sponsors (rather corporate sponsors) to be the backbone of professional fighting game players. He wanted to push the idea of the community being involved in the players they support.

Of course, without local small tournaments and events, some players wouldn't even learn about certain majors.

I feel a player has to start locally and then work their way into a major. It would be a great way to have those tournament organizers support the very players that participate in their local tournaments.

There may be some complications due to finances (or lack thereof) in supporting the player. That's why I don't really want to get into it.

On the other side of the coin, if we do get support from corporate leagues like MLG we could be giving away a lot of freedom and the ability to be... well... the fighting game community as we know it.

As to not get into much detail about the argument itself, Ryan saw that I needed some help for SCR and decided to choose me for a one-day sponsor.

It was very kind of him to do so with his own hard-earned cash and have thanked him for his efforts (even with my poor results). For him to choose me made me feel great about what I was working towards (professionalism, a career in gaming, ect.)

It was great to know that there are people (such as Ryan) who are willing to offer me help in a time of need. It made me feel great to be part of the fighting game community. :)

What do you guys think about this idea? What do you guys think about the argument itself? Leave a comment below and let me know.

-Miky

P.S. I don't want to choose sides, but I feel the fighting game community is doing just fine. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment