Thursday, December 22, 2011

Canada Cup: eLive.Pro|RF

If you guys haven't seen my tournament match against eLive.Pro|RF here's the video:



In the first set I played the match-up correctly. I played patient and pushed him to the corner (as your supposed to in this match-up). Most of my training for this match-up was against John Choi. However, RF was giving me lots of chances to get a life-lead. I took the first set easily.

In the second set, my fireballs appeared less and less in between the matches. I started playing too patient and decided to do a random "get off me" dp which resulted in him getting an ultra on me (as well as spacing and positioning). I had lost the set.

After that, I continued to play patient as I wasn't comfortable the way he was playing against my fireballs. I don't know why I stopped throwing fireballs, but it hindered me in the match-up (and as you guys can see, I got destroyed by fireballs alone in one round).

Finally, the moment I threw a fireball it was placed badly with my movement. I threw the ex fireball and RF jumped over it as I dashed. I didn't exactly think he would jump over the ex fireball at such a late time (hence my forward dash). He punished me with a full jump-in combo and I was out of the tournament.

I was frustrated. I said to Justin as I walked away from the setup, "Who would jump like that?" Justin replied, "He took the risk."

At the end of the day, who's fault was it to throw an ex fireball and dash forward? You guessed right. It was my fault. Here's how I deal with these mistakes.

I study the video and make sure I notice all my mistakes. Once you notice the mistakes you create ways on preventing them. For example, I didn't need to do that revenge or "emotional" dp to try to get him off. It gave him way too much position and spacing (and I had the life-lead).

The next thing is prevention. Notice how if I hadn't done the aforementioned mistake I would have eventually won the set? Taking a step back and understanding what led to me playing another set were my mistakes from the second set (or first if you end up losing the first set, ect).

Eventually, it all leads to what mistakes you created in the beginning of a round or set that put you in the position in the end. It's like what FilipinoChamp (Ryan) told me when he beat Daigo at SCR. "It should have been 3-0."

He wanted perfection. Players do this because they realize their mistakes. But for us to be human, playing a perfect game may be extremely hard. However, it isn't impossible. :)

-Miky

P.S. Moral of the Story: Realize your mistakes and prevent them from happening in the future. Mistakes make you stronger. However, if you don't realize your mistakes they will only make you weaker. It's okay to make mistakes.

2 comments:

  1. I like the way you mentioned that even from a tournament, its okay to make mistakes because in the end it will only make you better for the future. I just started going back to tournaments and placing top 3 but I've been putting too much pressure on myself to win the tournament altoghether without putting emphasis on fixing the mistakes that I've been making. I'll try to use my local ranbats as more of a learning experience now instead of an achievement/accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @lionrtpc - I'm glad you noticed that part. Going to tournaments and making mistakes is, essentially, how you get better. Money matches are a great way as well, but as long as you aren't afraid to make mistakes you'll definitely become stronger from learning from them. Sooner or later, the achievements and accomplishments start coming naturally rather forced. That's when you know you've gotten better. :)

    ReplyDelete